Full time!
Southside 2-2 Cupar Hearts
Seany Murdoch, Ryan Gray

Extra time!
Southside 3-3 Cupar Hearts
Paul Laurie

Southside 4-5 Cupar Hearts

Hard fought Hearts march on!

Saturday 6th January 2018.

Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay.

Cupar Hearts travelled to Glasgow to face last year’s Scottish Cup finalists Southside in a 4th round replay after the sides had met in December and played out a scoreless draw. But this was a cup tie that had everything from highs to lows, extra time, penalties and red cards.

The game started at a ferocious pace with neither team able to keep control of the ball.

Southside were first to show in front of goal when Brian Hughes found himself with only the ‘keeper to beat but blasted it over.
Some neat passing play by Cupar saw Lee Sibanda’s cross cleared out to Ryan Gray who tried his luck from distance but was easily saved.

Then a foul on Ryan Gray gave Hearts a dangerous free kick wide left but Lee Sibanda’s kick was headed just over by Sean Murdoch.
The home side opened the scoring seconds before half time when a long throw by Gary Carroll found Chris Seenan whose overhead kick stunned the visitors to silence.

Cupar came out for the 2nd half determined to get themselves back into the game and they did just that with 51 minutes on the clock. Kyle Watson’s looping ball in left Ryan Gray with an easy tap in to equalise.

Fifteen minutes later Hearts took the lead when a Lee Sibanda free kick found Steven Pennington who played it wide for Ryan Gray to deliver and Sean Murdoch had time to compose himself in the box before firing the ball into the net.

But their lead didn’t last long though when Cupar conceded from a free kick that was headed in by Stephen Waddell.

A Lee Sibanda foul on the edge of the box in the dying minutes of the game made Hearts hold their breath as Stephen Waddell stepped up to take the free kick but to the relief of the travelling support he scooped it up over the wall and over the bar.

And so, the game went into extra time where only 3 minutes in an elbow saw Chris Seenan sent for an early bath.

Hearts looked to capitalise with the extra man but soon found themselves with only 10 when a foul by Sean Murdoch saw the referee point to the spot and show him red. Stephen Waddell stepped up and dealt Hearts the devastating blow with only 9 minutes remaining.

But an incredible show of team spirit and a desire to win saw them grab an equaliser to take the game to penalties. A long ball by ‘keeper Gavin Wilson found substitute Paul Laurie who lobbed the ball into the net to the delight of the travelling fans.

So, it was penalty kicks to decide a winner in this all important Scottish Cup tie. Both sides scored their first 2 penalties before Hearts missed their 3rd then Southside missed their 4th and sudden death was needed. Southside stepped up and missed their 6th leaving Scott McKay to face ‘keeper Ryan Ward to send Hearts into the 5th round and he duly obliged.

Cupar Hearts showed incredible character and determination and deservedly take their place in the 5th round of the Scottish Cup.

Cupar Hearts: Wilson, Anderson, Murdoch, K. Brown, Blyth, Wainwright, McKinnon, Gray, Pennington (c), Sibanda and Watson. Subs: McInroy, McKay, Diop, Leadbetter, G. Brown and Laurie.