Cupar were singing in the rain.

Saturday 18th March 2018.

Kingdom Caledonian League.

It was a day for the diehards as Cupar Hearts travelled to a rain drenched Strathmiglo to face local rivals Strathmiglo United.

King George V Park has never been a happy hunting ground for Hearts but the supporters who braved the weather would not leave disappointed as Cupar picked up the all-important 3 points and moved up the Kingdom Caledonian League table to 6th.

With only 3 minutes on the clock there was a big let off for the visitors when Harris Moyes beat the offside trap and set up Lee White but he fired over.

Then a good one-two between Gary Brown and Ryan Gray saw the latter’s shot blocked and Strathmiglo were quick to break and won a free kick in a dangerous area but the shot was straight at ‘keeper Ian Rann who saved easily.

Cupar were playing some neat football and a good passing movement saw Lee Sibanda cross for Kyle Watson whose shot was deflected just past the post.

Ian Rann pulled off an unbelievable save on the half hour mark to keep things all square and was called into action again after a good link up between Craig Robinson and Grant Skinner saw Robinson’s effort on target.

A switch in the midfield with Gray Brown and Gary Sutherland swapping sides saw an immediate effect and with only a minute of the half remaining Hearts took control of the game with 2 goals in 2 minutes.

First a Gary Sutherland brace down the wing found Kyle Watson for a superb finish.

Then a Gary Sutherland cross was knocked on by Kerr Brown for Kyle Watson to grab his and Cupar’s second.

Gary Sutherland was first to show in front of goal in the second half after Kyle Watson squared but his shot went straight to the ‘keeper.

Hearts went further ahead on 62 minutes when Gary Brown fired goalwards which looked like an easy save for Robin Baird but there was enough power behind the ball to nutmeg the ‘keeper and cross the line.

Robin Baird made amends 10 minutes later when he pulled off a superb save. Kyle Watson gathered the ball in his own half and powered forward. His shot was initially saved and Kerr Brown’s effort from the rebound was tipped over the bar.

Strathmiglo had one last ditch attempt to get on the scoresheet with a free kick right on 90 minutes after a foul by Kerr Brown but Craig Robinson stepped up and fired high over.

It was a superb win for Hearts who continue to climb the League table.

Cupar Hearts; Rann, Anderson, Murdoch, Leadbetter, Calcutt, Sutherland, Gray, K. Brown, G. Brown, Watson (c) and Sibanda. Subs: Thomas, McGuire and Inglis.