Hearts finish the season in style with trophy number 5.

Saturday 18th June 2011.

Scottish Brewers Cup Final.

Cupar Hearts finally concluded their long season by clinching a record equalling 5th trophy with a resounding win over Rosyth Civil Service last Saturday. Despite the rain, the Kelty pitch was in perfect condition and a large crowd gathered expecting a tight encounter.

Rosyth were first on the attack and Michael Frew had a great opportunity in front of goal to open the scoring after a Thomas Lambie cross but he miskicked and the ball was cleared. At the other end a Scott Pryde cross was swung into the box but it was just too far for the incoming Iain Boylan and Christopher McNab gathered easily. With 15 minutes on the clock Barry Sibanda should have given Hearts the lead when he did the hard work by defeating the defender but slotted the ball past the wrong side of the post. Three minutes later a foul by Charles Anderson on Thomas Lambie gave Lee Wilson a shot on goal but Steven McEwan did well to save. Then after excellent hard work by Stuart Nicoll, Cupar opened the scoring. A good cross by Scott Pryde left Barry Sibanda with an easy tap in. Moments later Hearts had a penalty shout when Iain O’Leary was brought down in the box but it was waved away by the referee. Cupar doubled their lead on 33 minutes when Iain O’Leary played a clever, quick free kick catching Rosyth sleeping and Stuart Nicoll fired home. Then Thomas Lambie for Rosyth sent a shot goalwards after a cross by Garry Penman but Graham Makein was on hand to make an excellent clearance. Iain Boylan, Neale Smith and Stephen Gilfillan all had efforts on goal before the break but they couldn’t add to Cupar’s lead.

Only 5 minutes into the second half Rosyth gifted Hearts their third goal. A miskick by a Rosyth defender allowed Scott Pryde to gather the ball and expertly set up Iain Boylan who blasted the ball into the back of the net. At the other end Garry Penman had a long range effort sail over the bar. On 69 minutes Rosyth were awarded a penalty after a Stephen Gilfillan foul. Barry Tillier stepped up and put the ball past ‘keeper Steven McEwan to bring Rosyth back into the game. Minutes later Iain Boylan had a great effort tipped over the bar but Hearts couldn’t capitalise on the resulting corner. Rosyth stepped up the pressure with 10 minutes remaining and brought the best out of Steven McEwan. The best chance came from Garry Penman when he was unlucky to see his shot come back off the post. Thomas Lambie collected the loose ball and his fierce effort was well saved. Rosyth couldn’t get past the solid Hearts defence and so it was Cupar who were once again cheering at full time as they were crowed Scottish Brewers Champions.

Cupar Hearts: McEwan, Makein, Gilfillan, Anderson, Nicoll, O’Leary, Smith, Sibanda, Boylan, Pryde, Campbell, Watson, Fraser and M. Reilly.