Makein magic secures Hearts’ fourth Cup triumph.

Friday 10th June 2011.

Fence and Deck Cup Final.

Cupar Hearts faced Strathmiglo United in the final of the Fence and Deck Cup last Friday and Hearts continued their winnings ways by lifting their fourth trophy of the season. Treaton Park, Star provided the perfect venue with the pitch in top condition and drenched in sunshine. Strathmiglo were first on the attack and in the first minute William McLaughlin’s shot was just inches over. Five minutes later Barry Ritchie had a good shot tipped round the post by Steven McEwan but Tommy Halley was on hand to clear the danger from the resulting corner. Cupar’s first chance came after 14 minutes when a Grant Fraser cross was met by Iain O’Leary but he couldn’t direct his header on target. The opener came 2 minutes later and it was Hearts who took the lead. An excellent cross by Graham Makein was headed into the net by Barry Sibanda. On 32 minutes a free kick was sent in by Charles Anderson and it eventually fell to Lindsay Sharp but he blasted wide. Then with 4 minutes of the half remaining a foul by Steven Patrick on Scott Pryde gave Hearts a free kick opportunity out wide. Graham Makein sent it in but Barry Sibanda’s header was narrowly wide. It would be Strath who would have the final say of the half when they were awarded a penalty after a Scott Pryde hand ball. Kevin McCreddie stepped up to the spot and blasted the ball straight down the middle to equalise just before the break.

Hearts kicked off the second half kicking down the hill and soon went back in front. A corner kick was sent in by Graham Makein and Barry Sibanda jumped the highest to head home. Strath had a good opportunity to get back in the game when Lee White was through on goal after Hearts were standing claiming offside but Steven McEwan pulled off an excellent save to deny him. Cupar introduced all three substitutes with Kyle Watson, Duncan Campbell and Stephen Gilfillan replacing Iain O’Leary, Michael Reilly and Tommy Halley respectfully. With 10 minutes remaining Strath equalised for the second time of the match. Gordon Clark’s unchallenged run was finished off with a low drive into the bottom corner to bring Strath level. Just as Strathmiglo thought the game would end on penalties Cupar grabbed a winner. With 5 minutes to go man of the match Graham Makein stepped up to swing in a corner but his curling effort deceived the goalkeeper and went straight into the net. The Hearts defence stood firm as Starth threw everything at them in the dying minutes but at the final whistle it was celebrations once again for Cupar Hearts who were crowned the Fence and Deck Champions.

Cupar: McEwan, Makein, Anderson, Halley, Sharp, O’Leary, Fraser, Pryde, M. Reilly, Nicoll and Sibanda. Subs: Watson, Campbell and Gilfillan.